Select your timezone: Select

Sure ain't easy being new!.

Reply Subscribe
Thanks to all who take the time to read this thread all the way through. Being new to poker in itself nevermind online poker. And the great forums as such, ty manne and ixgames. It is not easy learning how to post respond, capture a screen shot etcc. nevermind hand reviews and all the other neat tools of the trade. Too which I am only becoming aware of there are so many,πŸ˜„ boy do I have still so much to learn. Yes I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to opr sharkscope etc.. but I am watching and trying to learn as I go. A goood friend of mine is a pretty well established player, that does not have the time to assist me at current time do to his work and family obligations. But his best advice was to join one of the coaching sites he gave me three off the top of his head. I would love too join, But there monthly rate is more than I can afford. Hell I am still grinding freerolls just to get to the buy in level someday. So in the meantime I can not thank each and evryone enough here on the forum and others that have helped this fish to start to swim on his own up river. Freerollbird πŸ˜„
Join: 2010/04/18 Messages: 181
freerollbird wrote:

Thanks to all who take the time to read this thread all the way through. Being new to poker in itself nevermind online poker. And the great forums as such, ty manne and ixgames. It is not easy learning how to post respond, capture a screen shot etcc. nevermind hand reviews and all the other neat tools of the trade. Too which I am only becoming aware of there are so many,πŸ˜„ boy do I have still so much to learn. Yes I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to opr sharkscope etc.. but I am watching and trying to learn as I go. A goood friend of mine is a pretty well established player, that does not have the time to assist me at current time do to his work and family obligations. But his best advice was to join one of the coaching sites he gave me three off the top of his head. I would love too join, But there monthly rate is more than I can afford. Hell I am still grinding freerolls just to get to the buy in level someday. So in the meantime I can not thank each and evryone enough here on the forum and others that have helped this fish to start to swim on his own up river. Freerollbird πŸ˜„

Seems to me you fit in pretty well here. As far as the other stuff goes.........I guess you have to determine what (if any) your poker playing goals are. For me, It is a way to wind down after work and spend time with chatting with fellow players. The wins are nice and all that, but I am not a pro and don't rely on poker for income. So many people stress out on performance that they don't take time to sit back and enjoy the game. If I lose a Hundred bucks this month I know next month I will hit for 200. People spend thousands of dollars on hobbies and the only ROI they get is relaxation. We (poker players) have the potential for much more. So I consider poker a value.

Good luck.
Join: 2009/03/29 Messages: 399
tallseas wrote:

Seems to me you fit in pretty well here. As far as the other stuff goes.........I guess you have to determine what (if any) your poker playing goals are. For me, It is a way to wind down after work and spend time with chatting with fellow players. The wins are nice and all that, but I am not a pro and don't rely on poker for income. So many people stress out on performance that they don't take time to sit back and enjoy the game. If I lose a Hundred bucks this month I know next month I will hit for 200. People spend thousands of dollars on hobbies and the only ROI they get is relaxation. We (poker players) have the potential for much more. So I consider poker a value.

Good luck.

Well freerollbird
just keep in mind most important thing is bankroll management and and everything else will come in time and as tallseas said he uses it to wind down so all people have different agendas as for a coaching site well im self taugth by a lot of errors lol but i enjoy the game and its fun for me !
Join: 2009/03/28 Messages: 378
freerollbird wrote:

Yeah, alot of it is defining what you want to accomplish. If we want to be a pro golfer, we have to spend our time doing the sport, and poker is the same way. The more you play the better you can become and if you put it off a year or two you can become rusty mighty fast.
Some people also want a personal trainer to lose weight and others of us cannot afford to do so, and we have to read or watch videos to improve ourselves. This forum, Ixgames, provides tourneys to improve our game and offer financial incentives to play which is cool. I am like you and am grateful for a site like this. It has helped me get important practice and tips and helps me bump into some pretty nice folks.
Join: 2008/12/11 Messages: 117
eberetta1 wrote:

Yeah, alot of it is defining what you want to accomplish. If we want to be a pro golfer, we have to spend our time doing the sport, and poker is the same way. The more you play the better you can become and if you put it off a year or two you can become rusty mighty fast.
Some people also want a personal trainer to lose weight and others of us cannot afford to do so, and we have to read or watch videos to improve ourselves. This forum, Ixgames, provides tourneys to improve our game and offer financial incentives to play which is cool. I am like you and am grateful for a site like this. It has helped me get important practice and tips and helps me bump into some pretty nice folks.

Well....I say this...If you are having fun playing poker then great. It is the people that forget that it is a game, you win some...you lose some. I have always told myself that when the game is no longer fun then I will quit.
I am not playing poker to become a pro. Hell, I am not even playing to make the big bucks. If I do then fantastic. I am playing because I enjoy it. And, you never stop learning. That is what makes the game great.
Join: 2009/10/25 Messages: 218
keithdn68 wrote:

Well....I say this...If you are having fun playing poker then great. It is the people that forget that it is a game, you win some...you lose some. I have always told myself that when the game is no longer fun then I will quit.
I am not playing poker to become a pro. Hell, I am not even playing to make the big bucks. If I do then fantastic. I am playing because I enjoy it. And, you never stop learning. That is what makes the game great.

If you use "winning money" as the only yardstick to measure your performance you will burn out very quickly. There's too much variance; one month your winning, the next your losing. Enjoy the game, "warts" and all. I enjoy playing online poker more than watching a movie or a sporting event. Work on improving your game and the $$$ will take care of itself.
Join: 2008/04/19 Messages: 119
greywind050 wrote:

If you use "winning money" as the only yardstick to measure your performance you will burn out very quickly. There's too much variance; one month your winning, the next your losing. Enjoy the game, "warts" and all. I enjoy playing online poker more than watching a movie or a sporting event. Work on improving your game and the $$$ will take care of itself.

Set limits, have fun, and remember it's a game
Join: 2009/10/04 Messages: 104
lcid86 wrote:

Set limits, have fun, and remember it's a game

Thank you all for the replies. I do find it relaxing but it has been a grind with too much freetime. I found myself playing way too much not studying my mistakes. Trying to post in forums while i was playing has been detrementle to my game also. So now I try to set time aside for reading and posting in between money games or freerolls that could become money 4 br. Freerollbird
Join: 2010/04/18 Messages: 181
freerollbird wrote:

Thank you all for the replies. I do find it relaxing but it has been a grind with too much freetime. I found myself playing way too much not studying my mistakes. Trying to post in forums while i was playing has been detrementle to my game also. So now I try to set time aside for reading and posting in between money games or freerolls that could become money 4 br. Freerollbird

It seems you are picking up on things very well. I would also suggest that you do not limit yourself to one or a few poker sites. Many will suggest that you stick to one or 2 sites, but I think expanding your horizons in online poker is a much better way to learn and experience the game. Lot's of different skins out there and within those skins are some unique sites as well. Better bankroll building opportunities await those who seek them out. As you have been advised in earlier replies to your thread.... bankroll management is KEY! Patients is the key to bankroll management.. so they go hand in hand. By being patient.. I mean.. be REALLY patient. It's not going to happen a any sort of short time period. Set some realistic goals that you can achieve easily and build and reset more and higher goals as you meet them.

Good luck to you at the tables... and may the flops be with you!😁
Join: 2008/12/12 Messages: 189