Select your timezone: Select

Hollywood is not friendly to people of faith

Reply Subscribe
Mayim Bialik is best know for her role as "Blossom" on the NBC sitcom of the same name and as the quirky Amy Farrah Fowler on "The Big Bang Theory," but the 39-year-old is also known as a person of faith in Hollywood.

Bialik has consistently used her celebrity as a platform to support causes that are important to her and to share her message of modesty with her fans. At times that means upsetting a few people here and there.

Bialik, who is Jewish, recalled a recent trip to Israel that caused quite a stir on social media.

"I've gotten a lot of negative attention for visiting Israel," she told FOX411. She was visiting a friend in the Israel Defense Forces. "That’s what's amazing...simply by going to Israel this summer and saying nothing more than, 'I've gone to Israel,' I got the same amount of hatred and threats and anti-Semitism for actually making a statement trying to support people whether I like it or not are serving in an army."

She continued, "That reveals the truth. It really doesn’t matter what I support or believe the fact that I'm Jewish and go there is enough – that should be alarming to most people."

While the threats she received was from fans, Bialiak said the entertainment industry isn't friendly to people of faith either.

"I think in general it's never going to be trendy to be observant or religious in Hollywood circles," she said candidly. "There are people I know of faith and we tend to congregate together. I study Jewish texts weekly. That's something really positive to me when you're a person of faith, it stays with you all the time."

The California-native explained that while she doesn't like "the bureaucracy of organized religion," she does "believe in a power greater than" herself.

"I have an unwavering faith in a power greater than myself and I don't think that will change any more than my belief in gravity will change," she stated. "In terms of observance, my social media shuts down for [the Sabbath] and sometimes we go to synagogue, sometimes we stay at home and we do [Sabbath dinners]...I believe in [Jewish law] but I also believe in the permeability and changeability in the structure of Jewish law and I think Judaism has always adjusted to the times that it lived in and it’s adjusting in the time we are in now."

Bialiak said her belief in God is often questioned by people who point to her degree in neuroscience and ask how she can believe in both God and science.

"Being a scientist and a person of faith, people want to know how that is. It leads to a lot of interesting conversations that I welcome but a lot of people want to open up a conversation just to tell you, you're wrong."

One aspect of Judaism the mom-of-two values is modesty.

"Being a modest dresser, that for me is a certain amount of my religious faith -- privacy and chastity. Just because I have a body, doesn’t mean it means to be on display."

Read more: Mayim Bialik: Hollywood is not friendly to people of faith | Fox News
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote:

Mayim Bialik is best know for her role as "Blossom" on the NBC sitcom of the same name and as the quirky Amy Farrah Fowler on "The Big Bang Theory," but the 39-year-old is also known as a person of faith in Hollywood.

Bialik has consistently used her celebrity as a platform to support causes that are important to her and to share her message of modesty with her fans. At times that means upsetting a few people here and there.

Bialik, who is Jewish, recalled a recent trip to Israel that caused quite a stir on social media.

"I've gotten a lot of negative attention for visiting Israel," she told FOX411. She was visiting a friend in the Israel Defense Forces. "That’s what's amazing...simply by going to Israel this summer and saying nothing more than, 'I've gone to Israel,' I got the same amount of hatred and threats and anti-Semitism for actually making a statement trying to support people whether I like it or not are serving in an army."

She continued, "That reveals the truth. It really doesn’t matter what I support or believe the fact that I'm Jewish and go there is enough – that should be alarming to most people."

While the threats she received was from fans, Bialiak said the entertainment industry isn't friendly to people of faith either.

"I think in general it's never going to be trendy to be observant or religious in Hollywood circles," she said candidly. "There are people I know of faith and we tend to congregate together. I study Jewish texts weekly. That's something really positive to me when you're a person of faith, it stays with you all the time."

The California-native explained that while she doesn't like "the bureaucracy of organized religion," she does "believe in a power greater than" herself.

"I have an unwavering faith in a power greater than myself and I don't think that will change any more than my belief in gravity will change," she stated. "In terms of observance, my social media shuts down for [the Sabbath] and sometimes we go to synagogue, sometimes we stay at home and we do [Sabbath dinners]...I believe in [Jewish law] but I also believe in the permeability and changeability in the structure of Jewish law and I think Judaism has always adjusted to the times that it lived in and it’s adjusting in the time we are in now."

Bialiak said her belief in God is often questioned by people who point to her degree in neuroscience and ask how she can believe in both God and science.

"Being a scientist and a person of faith, people want to know how that is. It leads to a lot of interesting conversations that I welcome but a lot of people want to open up a conversation just to tell you, you're wrong."

One aspect of Judaism the mom-of-two values is modesty.

"Being a modest dresser, that for me is a certain amount of my religious faith -- privacy and chastity. Just because I have a body, doesn’t mean it means to be on display."

Read more: Mayim Bialik: Hollywood is not friendly to people of faith | Fox News

And that's the true.
Join: 2008/12/18 Messages: 846
David_1 wrote:

And that's the true.

Yeap, agree with you.
Join: 2015/09/29 Messages: 3
JuliaFord wrote:

Yeap, agree with you.

Separation of church and state. They did everything right.
Join: 2016/05/25 Messages: 23
leoniv wrote:

Separation of church and state. They did everything right.

Well, I don't know what she was expecting, but many on our planet are still very judgemental, maybe she should still have kept it private. After all she knows what it's like to be a public figure. But for my part she can go wherever she wants and do whatever she feels like. I try to stick to judging people where it matters most.
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 2120
ixgames wrote:

Well, I don't know what she was expecting, but many on our planet are still very judgemental, maybe she should still have kept it private. After all she knows what it's like to be a public figure. But for my part she can go wherever she wants and do whatever she feels like. I try to stick to judging people where it matters most.

Hollywood is Hollywood and that's the way it goes. :1orglaugh:crying
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote:

Hollywood is Hollywood and that's the way it goes. :1orglaugh:crying

The latest breaking news on the biggest stars that's Hollywood life....
Join: 2008/12/18 Messages: 846