Select your timezone: Select

Andy Murray confident for Wimbledon 2015

Reply Subscribe
Britain's Andy Murray will head into Wimbledon in confident mood after claiming three titles in two months.

The 2013 champion plays world number 58 Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan in round one on Tuesday.

And the Scot has been boosted by his first titles on clay in Munich and Madrid, followed by his fourth on the grass of Queen's Club.

"I think in any sport, winning gives you confidence," said the 28-year-old, seeded third.

"This year I've won a lot of matches, more than I ever have in my career to this point in a season."

Murray fell at the quarter-final stage against Grigor Dimitrov when defending his Wimbledon title last year but is widely tipped to challenge again with 41 match wins already in 2015.

"I'm certainly not getting carried away," he added. "I know how difficult these events are to win.

"I just concentrate on the first match and try my best to get through that one.

"I enjoy playing in the high pressure situations. You know, that's really what I play for now. I enjoy these events. I prepare extremely hard for them.

"I feel like I'm coming into the event as best prepared as I can be."

BBC Sport - Andy Murray in form and confident for Wimbledon 2015
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote:

Britain's Andy Murray will head into Wimbledon in confident mood after claiming three titles in two months.

The 2013 champion plays world number 58 Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan in round one on Tuesday.

And the Scot has been boosted by his first titles on clay in Munich and Madrid, followed by his fourth on the grass of Queen's Club.

"I think in any sport, winning gives you confidence," said the 28-year-old, seeded third.

"This year I've won a lot of matches, more than I ever have in my career to this point in a season."

Murray fell at the quarter-final stage against Grigor Dimitrov when defending his Wimbledon title last year but is widely tipped to challenge again with 41 match wins already in 2015.

"I'm certainly not getting carried away," he added. "I know how difficult these events are to win.

"I just concentrate on the first match and try my best to get through that one.

"I enjoy playing in the high pressure situations. You know, that's really what I play for now. I enjoy these events. I prepare extremely hard for them.

"I feel like I'm coming into the event as best prepared as I can be."

BBC Sport - Andy Murray in form and confident for Wimbledon 2015

Wimbledon 2015: Can Djokovic Or Federer Grab Another Title? Does Nadal Have A Chance? One of them will win. I would bet on Federer
Join: 2006/12/11 Messages: 1758
mike1 wrote:

Wimbledon 2015: Can Djokovic Or Federer Grab Another Title? Does Nadal Have A Chance? One of them will win. I would bet on Federer

Pleae but your Wimbledon bets here: 5Dimes
Manne wrote:

Pleae but your Wimbledon bets here: 5Dimes

Nick Kyrgios is a real title threat John Newcombe says it’d be crazy to write off Nick Kyrgios as the big-stage showman resumes his audacious bid to become Wimbledon’s youngest men’s champion in almost 30 years.

“It’s a big reach, but his rise has been so meteoric so far that he doesn’t know - and we don’t know - where his limits are at the moment,” Newcombe said ahead of Kyrgios’s fourth-round showdown with Richard Gasquet on Monday.

“Certainly the potential’s there and he’s certainly not afraid to grab the moments when they come. That’s a big plus for him.”

Not only does Kyrgios believe he can go all the way and join Newcombe, Pat Cash and Lleyton Hewitt as only the fourth Australian man in the professional era to lift trophy, the 20-year-old is vowing to deliver in style.

“I feel you should express yourself. You know, it’s a sport,” Kyrgios said of his flashy, sometimes abrasive, on-court conduct that has polarised fans and challenged officialdom.

The Canberra ace has an unabashed fan in three-time Wimbledon champion and former tennis superbrat John McEnroe. “This guy is one of the greatest talents in a long time, bursting with personality. Reminds me of 35 years ago,” McEnroe told the BBC after watching Kyrgios’s breathtaking four-set second-round triumph over world No.8 Milos Raonic.

Read more: Nick Kyrgios can win Wimbledon, warns Newcombe | Tennis | Sport | The Guardian