Select your timezone: Select

Is Gambling A Drug?

Reply Subscribe
U.S. lawmakers opposed to Internet gambling liken the industry to crack cocaine, warning that online wagering opens an unfettered avenue to addiction-prone gamblers. Congress outlawed Internet gambling in a bill signed by President Bush last year, sending shock waves through a fast-growing industry that takes in an estimated $12 billion a year.

Read more: Antigua fights U.S. ban on internet gambling

:dirol
Join: 2006/12/07 Messages: 29893
Manne wrote:

U.S. lawmakers opposed to Internet gambling liken the industry to crack cocaine, warning that online wagering opens an unfettered avenue to addiction-prone gamblers. Congress outlawed Internet gambling in a bill signed by President Bush last year, sending shock waves through a fast-growing industry that takes in an estimated $12 billion a year.

I think for some people it is -- they get a high off it and feel that they can't go without a fix.

I think for most people its like having a social drink -- they do it in moderation and once in a while.
Join: 2007/06/06 Messages: 12
littlecat123 wrote:

I think for some people it is -- they get a high off it and feel that they can't go without a fix.

I think for most people its like having a social drink -- they do it in moderation and once in a while.

Aside from the possibility of underage gambling, I'd say that whatever's true of online gambling applies to the conventional gambling, too.

Although online wagering's much more convenient.
Join: 2007/04/04 Messages: 70
Ricardo_1 wrote:

Aside from the possibility of underage gambling, I'd say that whatever's true of online gambling applies to the conventional gambling, too.

Although online wagering's much more convenient.

I must say its more than drug for some people. But if you play it ocassionally then its ok.
Join: 2007/04/04 Messages: 769 Thanks: 20
olbg wrote:

I must say its more than drug for some people. But if you play it ocassionally then its ok.

I think it can be like a drug for some people. Anything that you do more than you should can become an addiction.
Join: 2007/07/26 Messages: 58
illuseesion wrote:

I think it can be like a drug for some people. Anything that you do more than you should can become an addiction.

Exactly. I agree that if you become obsessed with something, you can become addicted to it.
Join: 2007/07/26 Messages: 53
willyable wrote:

Exactly. I agree that if you become obsessed with something, you can become addicted to it.

There must be people who think it is, there is an organization called Gamblers Anonymous.
Join: 2007/07/26 Messages: 50
Manne wrote:

I wouldn't say it was like a drub it has its addictions though. People get addicted and people actually find it hard to quit and or slow down.
Join: 2007/07/26 Messages: 67
sacback1 wrote:

I wouldn't say it was like a drub it has its addictions though. People get addicted and people actually find it hard to quit and or slow down.

Those are exactly the people who should be careful about gambling in the first place.
Join: 2007/07/26 Messages: 50